The Manor House was then owned by the father-in-law of the writer Peter Spence.
In the churchyard is a white marble monument, dating from the early 20th century, showing a figure of St Michael.
These include, on the chancel south wall, a commemoration of Alexander Hood, who died in 1814, which was designed and signed by Sir John Soane, with a black marble base topped by a white marble monument on Ionic columns framing the memorial plaque.
Mounted on the north nave wall is a fragment of the altar cloth used in the Coronation Service of Queen Elizabeth II.
The parish falls within the Non-metropolitan district of South Somerset, which was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, having previously been part of Chard Rural District.
The district council is responsible for local planning and building control, local roads, council housing, environmental health, markets and fairs, refuse collection and recycling, cemeteries and crematoria, leisure services, parks, and tourism.
The wildlife park closed in 2009 and most of the larger animals were moved to other zoos around the country.